Elk Grove United Methodist is an inclusive, intergenerational Christian community committed to social justice, diversity, service, spiritual growth and integrity. Our faith and work reflect God’s unconditional love and Jesus’ teaching to love our neighbors as ourselves. We are called to invite others to walk with us in the way of Jesus.
A reconciling congregation in the heart of the community
Pastor Matthew Pearson
The mission of our church is to be an inclusive, intergenerational Christian community committed to social justice, diversity, service, spiritual growth and integrity.
We take our mission to heart and understand that part of being a welcoming community is enabling visitors and newcomers to learn more about us. Thus, we created this Guide, which you are reading.
We hope our website will give you a better sense about our ministry and mission as well as our people and our buildings. However, there is no substitute for direct contact so please feel free to contact the church office, any of our leaders or me to get a personal account of our community! We look forward to including you in our spiritual journey.
Grace & Peace, Pastor Matt
Diversity & Inclusion
We welcome and include everyone regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, age, economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Through our actions, we encourage the community to do the same. Our doors are open. Our love is unconditional.
We minister to the whole person to nurture a faith that works in real life through worship, education, fellowship, service and justice. We walk with each other on our journeys with God and in following the way of Jesus.
We create a spirit of belonging through Christian care giving, fellowship and service. We foster collaboration both within our congrecation and throughout our greater community.
Justice & Advocacy
We work, educate and advocate for social justice locally and globally through our actions prayers and financial resources.
We use our time, labor and other resources to respond to the needs of our local, national and global community. We encourage everyone to serve.
What to expect
when you arrive on sunday
The elevator provides access to all levels of the sanctuary building. The elevator is located on the east side of the sanctuary building (it looks like a bell tower) and may be reached from the South, West, or North entrances to the center of the property.
Parking is available on the street, in the parking lots to the east of the campus, and in our parking lot behind the Church.
Hearing Aid Units
Individual sound amplification units may be obtained from the Sound Board Operator at the back of the Sanctuary.
As a Christian community, we strive to provide an environment of safety for all persons. We have adopted a safe sanctuary policy.
The restrooms are located near the east door of the sanctuary, inside Bartholomew Hall on the east side, and at the north end of the education building.
See an usher/greeter for use of a phone. The phone in the office is a direct dial line (no need to press “9” first).
See an usher/greeter. A first aid kit is located on the counter in the front office.
Bottled water is available in the Santuary. Water is available from faucets in the beverage bar in Bartholomew Hall and the sink in the library. There are also sinks in the Education Building.
Elk Grove District Methodist-Episcopal Church was organized in 1858. The church and Parsonage were built in 1876 on Elk Grove Blvd. opposite Derr Street, at a cost of $3,400.
The Elk Grove Presbyterian church was organized on February 12, 1877, although the first services were held as early as 1856. Many years’ later members of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches, realizing the need for united strength, decided to combine.In the early 1900’s the Bruceville Methodist–Episcopal Church was built. It was dedicated on August 31, 1902. L.P. Walker was pastor. As the years went by families moved away and the little church was no longer used.
Joining & Moving
In 1920 the Methodists and Presbyterians joined together to form the Federated Community Church of Elk Grove. The Bruceville Methodist–Episcopal church was sold and the monies invested in the Federated Community Church of Elk Grove.
Current Chruch Location Estblished
A new church building was erected on the present site where the Presbyterian Church had been (8986 Elk Grove Boulevard) and was dedicated on February 4, 1923, for $18,400.00 minus the plumbing, heating and electrical work. It is a theatre like auditorium and movies were shown on Friday nights. In 1925, a Pipe Oregon was purchased from the First Methodist Church of Sacramento located at 6th and L streets in Sacramento, and was installed. In 1938, the church was remodeled again to celebrate its 25th Anniversary.
Seperation & Building
The Methodists and Presbyterians voted to separate in 1951, and the Elk Grove Community Church (Methodist) was born. The Presbyterians moved to the Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church in Fair Oaks. In 1952, the church was remodeled again and in 1957, the Education Building was constructed.
Expansion of Property
In 1976, the 100th Anniversary of the church was celebrated. The “Frame” property was bought to become a parking lot (property behind/south of the church). In 1988, the church decided to remain in “Old Town” Elk Grove and began to plan for expansion at the current site. In 2001, building began and the parking lot was started and completed. From 2002-2010, Capital Campaigns funded many more projects.
The Beginning of the Meal Ministry
In 2010, a “Get-to-Know-Your-Neighbor” Saturday breakfast was initiated which has the dual purpose of building community in our part of Elk Grove and helping any who may be hungry. In 2012, a “Get-to-Know-Your-Neighbor” Sunday lunch was added.
Beginning of Winter Shelter
In 2014, we joined with other church and community groups to provide winter shelter to the homeless in a program known as EGWINS and we serve as the Intake Site. In 2021 we partnered and partcipated in first year of the City of Elk Grove’s O.W.L – Overnight Warming Location program. We were the overnight shelter for the month of December.